Autowalah

I had just shifted to Kochi and was looking for an auto to come back home – it was already 9:00 pm. I saw this auto-rickshaw near a chai stall and went to ask the Auto driver if he was ready to go to the place where I stay. Looking at the Auto driver, I didn't dare to call him ‘bhaiya‘, as he was handsome, with a good build, salt and pepper hair, tall personality, laughing face, and twinkling eyes. As usual, I stared at him for a second. He said, “Chechi, let me finish the tea,” and then he came back, and we started the so-called interaction. He asked me if I was from Kochi. I smiled and said, “Yes, I am,” to which he replied, “You have such pathetic Malayalam, I am sure you were not brought up here.” That's the typical Malayalee feeling that every Malayalee has for a nonresident Malayalee. I didn't answer him back only for the single reason that he was handsome. Alla pinnee!!!!

I just nodded without saying anything further. And then all of a sudden he said, “You are lucky that you sit at the backside of the auto, not in the front, and you should thank your stars” – I never knew that traveling in the backside of an auto is such a privilege, whereas on the other side, I was dreaming of owning at least a Santro someday and not depend on my family members for the pick and drop. But still, I was not able to understand why such a young good-looking man is delivering dialogues like the king who lost his kingdom; might be some crisis or issue which has made him so sadistic. The poor chap!!!!

I reached my destination, he turned back when I was giving him money, he refused and said, “I am not riding for money.” I was dumbstruck, but how could I leave without paying him, and if I pay, will it be insulting for him. He then looked at me and said, “Just do one favor, watch my movie when released. I am playing the role of an auto driver and I am enacting the role to feel the character.” Standing still, with the wind blowing dust in my eyes, leaves wiping off the trees, I could see the Hero riding away as the sideshow bulbs blinked off.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Parsi Story : Sugar in the Milk

Ivanka

Number 1