Number 1

Muthashi always kept an extra glass of payasam for Raman Nair, for Onam, Vishu, and every time something special happened. Everyone in the village used to come to Muthashi's house for every event to have the payasam. They called her Illathamma because she was from a very well-known Brahmin family.

Amma was carrying me then, and the hospital was far away, so they had to go there for appointments, unlike today. Raman Nair would go a day before and sleep on the floor near the door as he used to also serve our family. The next morning when the compounder starts taking the appointments, he would wake up and say that he was 'number 1'.

Amma always got the first appointment with the doctor, and this happened for 9 months. Every night before the check-up, Raman Nair would sleep near the hospital door to make sure he got the 'number 1' spot.

When I was born, he came running to see me and called me 'number 1'. From then on, he always loved me. And I was always his 'number 1'.

But who was he? He was just a villager who helped Muthashi and served the family. Muthashi thanked him by giving him an extra glass of payasam, which was a treat back then.

It has been 33 years now, I don't remember Raman Nair's face, and he doesn't remember mine either. But I'm sure if he sees me today, I'll still be his 'number one'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Parsi Story : Sugar in the Milk

Ivanka